The Fragnée bridge - 120 years of history

The Fragnée bridge, 2024

At the end of the 19th century, Liège dreamed of organizing a universal exhibition after those of Antwerp (1894) and Brussels (1897). Scheduled for 1903, the Liège Exhibition was finally postponed to 1905. It was in this context that the bridge was born.

The construction

Built between 1901 and 1904, the Fragnée bridge serves as the majestic entrance to the Universal Exhibition. The bridge piers were built by contractors Joseph and Victor Cousin, and the metal structure was built by the John Cockerill Company.

The Liège architect Paul Demany, inspired by the Alexandre III bridge in Paris, is responsible for the decoration with French classicism. Railings, candelabras and statues adorn the bridge, adding to its splendor. Its technical design is the work of engineer Émile Jacquemin.

The 2nd World War

Although the bridge miraculously emerged intact following the First World War, the same cannot be said following the Second. Indeed, the 1905 bridge no longer exists, having been destroyed in 1940 to stop the German invasion during the Second World War. This is also the case for many bridges in Belgium during this sad period in history.

After the invasion, a temporary bridge will be built to facilitate travel in Liège. This bridge will exist until 1948.

The Renaissance

After the Second World War, the Fragnée bridge rose from its ashes: it was rebuilt almost identically. Following this, the bridge will undergo some minor renovations.
The bridge we know today, nicknamed 'Pont des Anges', is almost exactly that of the post-war period. It is now registered as a 'Walloon Heritage Monument'.

The Old River Collection

Hoblitus is keen to pay homage to this beautiful story. This is why our new collection ' Vieux Fleuve ' is inspired by the allegorical railing of the bridge. It is a way of giving the Fragnée bridge the light it deserves, by immortalizing its 120 years of history in a frozen creation.

Back to blog